Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Post Valentine's Day Ramblings

Our Family Valentine's Day Table
Yesterday we celebrated Valentine's Day like we usually do "Family Style". What exactly does that mean? For us it means that our youngest spent the night before filling out her Valentine's Day cards for her school Valentine exchange and party. It was a somewhat long process as it involved determining who was going to receive what Valentine. She only had four styles to choose from, but since she's only 7 the process did involve considerable thought.

My husband had taken a personal day off from work so that we could accomplish several run of the mill things (doctor appointment, car oil change, visiting Grandma in a nursing home, etc.).  I was looking forward to a day spent together doing nothing fancy ~ just being together sans kids.  A little wrench was thrown into the plans when our oldest came down with a virus, but no problem we just ferried her off to Grandma's house as it was one of the "non stomach" viruses.

Our table centerpiece ~ mini roses
that we now get to plant in our
flower bed to commemorate our day.

Our Valentine's Day culmination always ends with a special family dinner....the table is decorated, little gifts are exchanged and we try to keep the table-scape and food theme either Red or Pink.  This year's food was spaghetti and meatballs so we went with a Red theme.

My hubby and I had a wonderful day, his grandma was happy to see us and loved the little Valentine's cards the kids had made (she enjoyed the cookies too).  I am not sure how much of our visit she will remember as she suffers from mild dementia, but we did put the cards on her bulletin board.  Prior to visiting Grandma we went shopping to the Dollar Tree (love that store), so we had fun picking up bargains for a buck.

Homemade Valentine's Card - Love,
Love, Love this!
I was in charge of dinner and decorating this year (my husband & I switch off each year).  I set up the goody bags and decorated the table while cooking.  Our dinner included spaghetti and meatballs, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, garlic bread, and carbonated fruit punch to drink.  Everyone loved it and we had a great time talking and sharing.

Of course it seems like it is Murphy's law that there always seems to be a flip side to everything, at first I thought that our flip side was that our oldest daughter was sick, but alas that was not it ~ it was the curse of the Valentine's Day nay-sayers.  You know who I am talking about, the people who have determined that Valentine's Day is too commercial so they don't celebrate it, or those who say that they don't have to celebrate it because everyday is Valentines Day for them, etc., etc.

It kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth (like a sour burp) and it almost seemed like a put down to the rest of us who do celebrate Valentine's Day.  I have to admit that I did get a little offended hearing this, because after all many of those same people are Christians who still celebrate Christmas (although it is highly commercialized & they are already Christian throughout the year) or they are the same people who eat all year, but still celebrate Thanksgiving, or a Mom who celebrates Mother's Day or Easter or St. Patrick's Day, or hey don't forget about Independence Day.....

After much contemplation I realized that I had to put it all behind me and realized that these people probably were not trying to put down the rest of us who celebrate this holiday, but rather they were just trying to find an excuse that seemed reasonable as to why they did not.


So in closing I want everyone to know that we will be wearing Green on St. Patrick's Day and probably be eating corned beef and cabbage (even though the holiday is becoming commercial) and I will be sure to take photos and write a blog post about it and ditto for when we celebrate Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, 4th of July, Birthdays, Christmas, etc., etc.

Now that I've managed to ramble and clear the air it's time to close this chapter......


BWS tips button


Not to be forgotten, I am participating in "Follow Me Back Tuesday". 







Photobucket
 
Want to read more articles similar to this one?
Take a look at our Archives/Index page!

15 comments:

  1. wow- your table looks amazing! Good for you- I am embarrassed to admit we do not go all out for Valentines. I get little gifts for all the grandkids/kids but that's as far as it goes.
    Saw you on my Facebook- thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KerrieLynn,
    Thanks for stopping by Adorn on a Shoestring! I'm following you via Newtwork Blogs.

    Take Care,
    Chrystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be right behind you on the blog hop- all our comments are together! So im following you now too! Your Vday table looks great!

    http://himmeweethree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Followed you back on networked blogs and facebook. I didn't see google friend connect. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you celebrate what Valentine's is about rather than listen to those nay sayers! I know that so many of my fiends don't celebrate holidays and occasions that we do ( like Halloween ) but whatever...they aren't the ones listening to my babies giggle as they put on their costumes. I am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your post. We celebrated yesterday too... and loved it!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm following you back from FMBT :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI!

    I'm a new follower from the hop! Great Blog!!

    Denay
    http://workahome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi following you back here from FMBT, looks like you had great post valentines celebration. you also have wonderful family.

    Thank for dropping by my site btw.

    http://www.mixedthoughts.net/2011/02/follow-me-back-tuesday-215/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Following from the bloghop. I signed up to follow under networked blogs, facebook and twitter.
    please follow back.
    http://my-2-cents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Thanks for stopping by Emma's Lunch. I'm following you back now; :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you had a nice Valentine's Day in spite of the nay-sayers! I think everything looks beautiful, and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! Thanks so much for the comment and follow! I am now returning the favor! BTW, I love shopping at the Dollar Tree, too, you can always find so many cute things for cheap!!

    http://crazedmama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comment! We're following you back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting The Mix Gal ~ I love to hear from my readers!