Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Emergency Plans

One of my favorite Facebook sites is "Hope for the Best but Prepare for the Worst". So in keeping with that, the following emergency documents (.pdf version) are available to download, save, print and most important ~ USE! Thank you to my local emergency management agency for providing these.

These are based upon completing one each month so that within one year's time you will have a complete action plan in place, however for myself I plan on doing these as fast as I can so that they are complete and in place (I don't want to wait a year to be ready). 

Also, since I cannot pass up a marketing opportunity....I know The Gourmet Cupboard mixes will fit right in when assembling the 72 hour kit, many of the mixes are "just add water" so they will be perfect as emergency rations.  The dry food mixes have a shelf life of 6 months to one year, so I will just mark the kit with an expiration date about a week before it actually expires.  Once that date rolls around I will pull out the mixes and replace with new.  Then we'll just use the mixes that are about to expire for family meals (no waste).
 

Another thing I found interesting when reading through emergency information is that you can take the stale plastic taste out of bottled water by adding oxygen.  To add oxygen all you need to do is dump the water from one container to another several times to oxygenate....
I hope you never have to use these, but if you do I hope they help to keep you and yours safe.

God Bless and Happy Cooking,
KerrieLynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting The Mix Gal ~ I love to hear from my readers!