Monday, March 21, 2011

Recipe: Thai Peanut Beef and Pea Pods Over Noodles

I am in the process of implementing weekly meal planning for my family, however I only got as far as coming up with several recipes/meals that I want to make, creating a grocery list and shopping for the ingredients. I haven't actually made a "Plan" of what night we will eat each meal ~ but I figure it is a step in the right direction!

Last night's dinner is the recipe for the Thai Peanut Beef and Pea Pods Over Noodles, I made a couple of modifications trying to use up some ingredients that I had in my freezer and in the pantry. Three out of four family members liked it so I consider it a success.....

Thai Peanut Beef and Pea Pods over Noodles
A Photographer I am NOT, but here are the end results ~ my camera and
photography skills did not do this justice as the colors were much more intense!


Prep Time (start to finish): 25 Minutes
Serves 4 (note, I found that my version actually serves about 8)


INGREDIENTS:
8 oz. uncooked thin spaghetti *I used 12 ounces
1 pound lean ground beef *I used 1.5 pounds
4 Green Onions (chopped, about 1/4 cup)
8 oz. fresh pea pods, cut in half (about 3 cups) *I substituted about 3 cups frozen broccoli
1 Red Bell Pepper cut into thin strips (about 3" x 1/4" each)
1.5 Cups Chicken Stock *I used about 2.25 cups
1/4 teaspoon Ground Red Pepper *I substituted about 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
1/4 Cup Salted Peanuts *I increased to 1 Cup
 *1/8 Cup Soy Sauce (this is an addition I made)

Directions:
  1. Cook and drain spaghetti as directed on package, cover to keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, in 12" (or larger) skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked.  Add onions, bell pepper & pea pods (broccoli).  Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
  3. In small bowl, mix broth, ground red pepper, salt, cornstarch and soy sauce and mix well.  Stir into beef mixture.  Ad Peanut butter.  Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently until thick and bubbly.  Serve over cooked spaghetti, top with peanuts.  
Per serving: Calories 730; Total Fat 36g; Sodium 1000mg; Dietary Fiber 8g.

MY REVIEW:  This was easy to make, delicious and with the modifications that I made, I have enough leftovers to freeze and serve as another meal. 


~Keeping Life Simple by Mixing It Up!
Photobucket
 
Want to read more articles similar to this one?
Take a look at our Archives/Index page!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish and easy; the best part is having leftovers. My kind of dish!


    Thanks for sharing,

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello..new follower from Weekend hop. Would love for you to visit www.fingerclicksaver.com and return the follow. HAGW!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting The Mix Gal ~ I love to hear from my readers!