Monday, December 13, 2010

Countdown to Christmas: Day 13

Before the arrival of VHS & DVDs we all waited with anticipation for the Christmas shows & movies to be on T.V.  One of my favorites was Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer followed closely by Frosty the Snowman.
Every year at Christmas time we would scour the T.V. Guide to see when the Christmas programs would be on television.  In addition to the Christmas cartoons there were the Christmas musicals....I can remember watching the Osmond's Christmas and it was always one of my favorites especially since I had such a crush on Donny Osmond!

Nowadays we have all of the Christmas classics on DVDs so my kids (and myself) don't have to wait for them to come on T.V., we can just pop in a DVD and watch them whenever we want.  The movie "A Christmas Story" wasn't around when I was young, but nevertheless it has become a Christmas favorite in our house and as long as they continue the tradition of playing it for 24 hours straight on Christmas Day we will continue to have the T.V. tuned to that channel every December 25th.
One of my personal favorites is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation followed closely by all of the Santa Clause movies.
Memories are often triggered by particular smells, tastes or sight so every time I watch one of these shows, especially the older ones I am transported back to childhood memories of my youth.  Now when I sit down and watch the movies with my kids I know that we are creating moments in time so that when they are older they will be able to watch these movies with their children and be transported just as I was.  We have created a "Pay it Forward" of memories.......

Merry Christmas, now go watch Rudolph!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting The Mix Gal ~ I love to hear from my readers!