Thursday, December 16, 2010

Countdown to Christmas: Day 16

Would it be Christmas without all of the cookies?  I try to start baking my cookies at least a week before Christmas and they all go into the freezer as I make them to be taken out on Christmas eve day so we are snacking on them for at least two whole days!  There are four types of cookies that I make every year without fail......sugar cut out cookies, spritz cookies, nut butter balls and chocolate mountain cookies.  The spritz cookies are made in the traditional way using a cookie press and are decorated with sugar sprinkles before we bake them.  The cut out cookies are frosted and decorated after we take them back out of the freezer.  I usually manage to make a couple of more varieties of cookies as well depending on what ingredients we have on hand.  My husband and son's favorites are chocolate chip cookies so they are usually made too!

In addition to cookies I always make homemade banana bread.  In the months leading up to Christmas bananas are thrown into the freezer when they get too ripe for eating - this year for some reason I ended up with many more bananas than I usually have.  Needless to say I ended up making a batch of Banana bread that was 6 times the normal recipe - it yielded 11 full size loaves of banana bread, which guarantees that Banana bread will be given out as gifts this year.

I wasn't thinking about taking pictures of the cookies or bread and now they are in the freezer, so unfortunately no photos on this post - you'll have to wait for Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting The Mix Gal ~ I love to hear from my readers!